Treadwell, with Duncan as superintendent, had completed its first hydro project, the Treadwell Ditch, in 1890. The ditch brought water from Fish Creek and other creeks on Douglas Island down to the Treadwell mines where it was used to run water wheels. Later the water supplied steam plants. Finally, in 1898, a hydroelectric plant was constructed and the water from the ditch was diverted to it.
The Sheep Creek Plant was soon followed by the Nugget Creek plant, which was started in 1912 and completed in 1914. Both plants were seasonal, "run-of-the-river" plants, and each was capable of generating over 2,000 KW during periods of optimal water flow.
These accomplishments, however, were soon eclipsed by the amazing hydroelectric projects conceived of and constructed by Bart Thane and his Alaska Gastineau Mining Company.
Thane's impact on mining and hydroelectric project development in Juneau was tremendous. It was Thane's company that built the Salmon Creek Dam and hydroelectric facilities, as well as the Annex Creek plant. These plants were completed in 1912 and 1916. Both amazing achievements were designed by Thane's chief engineer, Harry L. Wallenberg, and provided the mines and AEL&P with year-round hydroelectric power. Until these projects, all previous hydroelectric plants had been seasonal facilities.
With inexpensive, abundant, year-round power available, the Alaska Gastineau Mining Company was able to build a huge mill where Sheep Creek empties into Gastineau Channel, and Thane wrote another chapter in the history of hydroelectricity and gold mining in Juneau.
AEL&P branched out into the ferry business in 1918 with the purchase of the Juneau Ferry & Navigation Company. There was no bridge over Gastineau Channel. Ferry was required to move people and goods between Juneau and Douglas. A photo from the period shows a 93-foot, 250-passenger Juneau Ferry & Navigation ferry that cost $26,000. AEL&P sold Juneau Ferry & Navigation in 1920, and the company continued in operation until 1935 when the bridge over Gastineau Channel was finally completed.
John Maloney was a vital figure in the history of Juneau as well. In 1900 when the first City Council was electing officers, he was one of those elected to lead the city. And in 1905, he served as Mayor of Juneau. It was during this year that Maloney joined together with E. J. Margrie and B. M. Behrends for the purpose of incorporating AEL&P under the laws of the District of Alaska.
In 1918, a transition was seen in the position of general manager of AEL&P. E. J. Margrie retired and was succeeded by Winfield S. Pullen. Margrie had become general manager in 1903 after the retirement of W. L. Grant.
With the death of John Maloney in 1918, the presidency of the company went to John P. Corbus. Still treasurer of the company, he decided to combine the offices and served in both capacities until his death in 1933.
During Maloney's tenure as president, Alaska Electric Light and Power had grown from a fledgling enterprise with a few customers to a successful business supplying the community with dependable, year-round power. Maloney, and his partners, had forged ties with the mining companies that endured for decades. Those ties allowed AEL&P to buy electricity from the mines and finally resulted in the 1972 acquisition by AEL&P of the combined hydroelectric property holdings of all the mining companies that Juneau's mineral resources had spawned.
© 2001-2008 Alaska Electric Light and Power Company