A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.
At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.
As we look forward to an exciting future with Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service.
2018 was a year of reflection and celebration for AEL&P with our 125-year anniversary and celebrating our meaningful role in our community.
Avista Corporation purchases Alaska Energy and Resources Company and its subsidiary AEL&P for $170 million
• More than 80% of meters read automatically
• More than half of customers using some form of automatic payment
• AEL&P adds avalanche forecaster and technicians to staff
• Daisy Bell Helicopter Avalanche Control System begins service
• January avalanche destroys Snettisham Tower 3/5
• Lake Dorothy Hydro Project completed, boosts total hydropower by 20%