A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.
At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.
As we look forward to an exciting future with Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service.
• AEL&P adds avalanche forecaster and technicians to staff
• Daisy Bell Helicopter Avalanche Control System begins service
• January avalanche destroys Snettisham Tower 3/5
• Lake Dorothy Hydro Project completed, boosts total hydropower by 20%
April 16th avalanches destroy several Snettisham transmission towers.
• Greens Creek Mine connects to AEL&P via underwater cable across Young Bay
• Lake Dorothy Hydro Project begins construction
• Undergrounding transmission line along Thane Road completed
East and West Terminals connect via new underwater cables in Taku Inlet