A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.

At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.

As we look forward to an exciting future with  Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service. 

The years of 1893 - 1900

year:  1898

Treadwell Co. Hydro

Treadwell Company builds first hydroelectric facility

year:  1897

Alaska-Juneau Gold Mining Company

Alaska-Juneau Gold Mining Company (AJ) incorporated

year:  1896

Thorp sells AEL&P

Thorp sells AEL&P to J.P. Corbus, A.W. Corbus, J.F. Malony, and R. Duncan.

year:  1894

Gold Creek Power House

Original Gold Creek Power House built

year:  1893

AEL&P Founded

AEL&P founded by Willis Thorp

RSS
history - ankle