A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.

At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.

As we look forward to an exciting future with  Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service. 

The years of 1961 - 1970

year:  1970

Conversion to Higher Voltage

Transmission and Distribution system begins conversion to higher voltage

year:  1969

Lemon Creek GM Generators

Two 2500kW GM generators installed at Lemon Creek

year:  1968

Alaskan Oil

Oil discovered in Prudhoe Bay

year:  1967

Lemon Creek Generating Plants

Lemon Creek generating plants constructed

year:  1966

Second Fairbanks Morse Generator

Second 1136kW Fairbanks Morse generator installed at Gold Creek Power House

RSS
history - ankle