A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.

At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.

As we look forward to an exciting future with  Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service. 

The years of 1931 - 1940

year:  1937

AEL&P Business Office Moves

AEL&P business office moves from Decker Building on Front Street to 134 Franklin Street

year:  1936

Juneau Ferry and Navigation Company

Juneau Ferry and Navigation Company goes out of business

year:  1935

Annex Dam • Gastineau Channel Bridge

• Annex Creek Dam rebuilt

• Bridge over Gastineau Channel built, connecting Juneau and Douglas Island

year:  1934

Purchasing of Alaska Gastineau Co.

AJ buys Alaska Gastineau Company

year:  1931

KFIU

KFIU stops broadcasting.  AEL&P turns in license to FRC

RSS
history - ankle