A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.
At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.
As we look forward to an exciting future with Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service.
Fire in old AJ office attic results in $60,000 damage
AEL&P purchases Haines Light & Power Company
Annex Creek is automated, supplies about 10% of Juneau’s energy needs
AEL&P sells office building on Franklin Street to Southeast Newspapers Corp. (Juneau Empire).
AEL&P business office moves into 612 West Willoughby office
Voters approve initiative to move capital from Juneau