A new history began July 1, 2014, when AEL&P -- as part of Alaska Energy and Resources Company -- was acquired by Avista Corp., of Spokane, Wash.

At that moment, the oldest regulated electric utility in Alaska joined with an established and major company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy for eastern Washington, northern Idaho and parts of southern and eastern Oregon.

As we look forward to an exciting future with  Avista, we do not forget our century of service that began earnestly enough in 1893 with a simple water wheel. Below you'll find some of the major events that took place in our more than 100 years of service. 

The years of 1991 - 2000

year:  1998

Federal Government Sells Snettisham

Federal government sells Snettisham Project to Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority (AIDEA)

year:  1997

Operations Center Opens

Lemon Creek Operations Center opens at 5601 Tonsgard Court

year:  1993

New Construction

Lemon Creek Warehouse built.  Loop Substation rebuilt

year:  1992

Operations Center

Construction begins on Lemon Creek Operations Center

RSS
history - ankle